The American Optometric Association (AOA) conducts their annual American Eye-Q® survey to increase eye health awareness. According to the latest survey, most Americans experience digital eyestrain because of excessive device usage.
The survey reported that most of the participants are aware of the effects of digital devices. However, 61% of them still reported that they use more than one device at the same time. They mostly use mobile phones or computers for entertainment. These devices caused distractions for 59% of the participants, while computer use led to vision problems for 58% of the individuals.
The Prevention Methods
Whenever you feel headaches, neck and shoulder pain, or dry eyes, you should consult your local optometrist in Rockville, MD. Shady Grove Eye and Vision Care can help ease the symptoms and reduce eyestrain with these tips:
- Practice the 20-20-20 rule. After looking at monitors or screens for 20 minutes, look 20 feet away for 20 seconds.
- Lower your screen’s brightness level.
- Adjust your computer screen at an angle 15° to 20° below eye level.
- Keep a comfortable distance from your computer to read texts easily while maintaining an upright posture. The AOA recommends you maintain a 20- to 28-inch distance from your monitor.
- Wear proper eyewear. We offer glare-free eyeglasses in Alexandria, VA, that can double as sunglasses. We also have Flexon® titanium eyeglass frames that are hypoallergenic and lightweight.
- Opt for our orthokeratology lenses so you can be eyeglass- and contact lens-free during the day.
- Schedule regular eye exams. We can assess your eye’s health and prescribe the right treatment.
You can fight eyestrain by exercising healthy habits, scheduling an eye exam, and wearing the right eyewear. Shady Grove Eye and Vision Care will be happy to assist you with your needs.